Saturday, January 10, 2009

A frugal grocery bill: $28.14

I will make a turkey chili which will last most of the week, and a salmon/chickpea salad I saw a recipe for on the chickpea can. I bought oatmeal and blueberries for breakfasts and soymilk to put in my coffee for a change. I have spices and oil in my pantry.

can of tuna $1.00
can of salmon $1.58
kidney beans .89
generic brown rice $2.29
no-brand Oatmeal $1.69
organic crushed tomatoes $2.19
Progresso can of chickpeas $1.30
Wyman frozen blueberries $3.49
Omega olive oil spread $2.89
ground turkey $2.79
silk vanilla soymilk $2.49
1 lb carrots .99
celery $1.49
stirfry noodles $1.49
coke zero (bad me) $1.49
bag refund +.05

chili recipe
Heat olive oil in a large pot, saute chopped onion and garlic. Add ground turkey and brown. Add the following ingredients, ( 2 tbs. chili powder, 1 tbs. cumin, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 3 cups water, salt). Stir to mix and bring to boil.Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the sauce is as thick as desired.This could be an hour or so. Add a can of kidney beans and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment